Tuesday, September 20, 2016

"Why I Teach"

I am a teacher because it is a highly rewarding and fulfilling profession. Teachers have one of the most important, meaningful, and purpose-driven jobs of anyone today. 

Teachers share valuable information and important skills to encourage a love of learning that will serve students the rest of their lives. I remain in the profession because I am committed to having a positive impact on the future of each student that I serve on a daily basis. 

I believe that there is an exciting career for every passion. No two days in teaching are ever the same. 



I wake up each morning and serve students in our nation's schools. Being a role model and teaching students the skills and knowledge they need beyond the classroom is extremely inspiring and rewarding.

It is an excellent time to be a teacher. Today's teachers need perseverance, passion, validation, and hope.

The math, reading, and writing skills I developed as a student has allowed me to become a successful teacher. Playing sports and being involved in student government taught me valuable life lessons on teamwork, time management, and responsibility. 



Teachers helped me get to where I am today by providing me with an exceptional education. As a student, I learned the benefits of getting along with people from different cultures, which continues to assist me in my career, especially when I traveled abroad to New Zealand for a teacher exchange program. 


My passions for public speaking, fitness, and volunteering have provided inspiration for my future. There were many educators that had a positive influence on my life. 

They encouraged me to explore my curiosities, supported me with my struggles, and celebrated my successes. They cared about me, my learning, my life, and they wanted me to find happiness within myself in order for me to be capable of helping others.




They inspired me and pushed me to be my best in the classroom and on the athletic fields. I am now trying to pay this positive influence forward to my students.

It is essential to make lesson plans interesting in order to get all students motivated about learning. 
Teachers creatively facilitate the engaging interaction between students and provide feedback based on their observations. 

For me, the motivation to teach has always come from the students in my classroom.  I have been a guest panelist reflecting on my teaching career, advocating for our profession, and representing the Chippewa Valley Schools at the Macomb University Center in Clinton Township (click here). 

If you are in high school, college, or thinking about changing careers, this is a career seminar and networking event that you do not want to miss. Get ready to make the transition by learning about the important skills needed for a teaching career.    


Ensuring Teachers Remain in the Profession 


When I graduated from Oakland University's School of Education and Human Services, I felt knowledgeable and ready to have a positive impact on future students. The required field placements and internships provided me with work experience that helped me make decisions about my future career. 

I learned that I wanted to teach middle school science, not kindergarten. The study habits I developed as an undergraduate helped me with success in graduate school. 

There were definitely challenges I faced in my early years of teaching, such as how to do project-based learning, facilitate classroom discussions, and use technology effectively. A strong teaching internship experience and great mentoring programs have helped me become a successful teacher. 

Forging ahead on my own determination when the going got tough was essential. The wisdom that I gained with setting up classroom procedures and managing class time would benefit a newer teacher. 

Educators entering the profession need to deal with the challenges and successes of teaching through developing a positive mentor-mentee relationship. These types of relationships are necessary to help retain our top teachers and support new teachers as they come into the profession. 

Better, high-quality professional development is also the answer and can be achieved with extensive, easily accessible support. There is something inherent about the teaching profession that is driving teacher's away, and the nature of internships, or lack thereof, in teacher education programs impacts retention.  

The Top 5 Lessons I Have Learned in My Position in Public Education   

1. Be persistent. Never give up on students, parents, and colleagues. Everyone is in this together, and it truly takes a village to educate a child properly.
2. Be open-minded. Listen to other people and their opinions. The more information you have, the better decisions you can make. Communication and organization is essential for highly effective teachers. 
3. Think positive. There is a lot of negativity out in the world, especially within the field of education. You need to have a positive outlook in order to combat all of the negativity.
4. Try different roles until you find your niche. Spend time with different people and in various extracurricular activities. Use your hobbies and passions as a guide.
5. Always want to learn. Whether it is a new technology or a new teaching strategy, teachers are life-long learners. We need to be learning alongside our students and show how passionate we are in seeking knowledge.