Tuesday, December 29, 2015

5 Thoughts on Ways to Save Money


My New Year's Resolutions involve the art of saving money. This is my goal because I try to keep my life simple. 

However, I love traveling, exploring, and trying new things. We give to the poor often and participate in many fundraisers. 

I need to savor my spiritual life more. "That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest." - Henry David Thoreau

The following is my response to an article by Jill Cataldo, Super-Coupon Queen. Click here to change the way you shop forever. 

1. Food: I always take water in my car and rarely stop for a drink unless I feel that I need a coffee or a Slurpee. Staying hydrated keeps you healthy and helps you save money.

I usually drink water at a restaurant. However, if I’m in the mood, I will get what I want and enjoy it.

When we go out for dinner, we usually have leftovers for lunch the next day because of the larger portions. I buy my own condiments.

2. Shopping: I do not like to pay for shipping and would do anything to avoid it. I do shop at farmers markets occasionally in order to save money and support local products.

I am always amazed at what you can find at the Dollar Store such as school and office supplies. We should probably shop there more for everyday products such as dish soap and shampoo.


I like going to Costco for free samples. We save money by buying everyday items in bulk. They also have good deals on clothing and eyewear.

3. Entertainment: I could easily get rid of my cable. We save money by getting basic cable, bundling it with our Internet, and not paying for a landline phone. 

I like watching the news, but it is depressing. When I have family and friends over, we like to watch sports or a movie. 

I’m not sure if I could just throw out my TV. However, we could probably get rid of at least half of our technology. 

I love going to the movies, sporting events, and concerts. I often buy tickets as gifts for family and friends. 

Advanced screenings are a way to see movies for free and theatres sometimes offer discounted tickets at certain times during the day. There are legal ways to get tickets for sporting events and concerts for free or at discounted prices.

I like being home, but I get that itch to travel. I have stayed in cheap hotels before and they are not worth it most of the time. There are ways to save money on good hotels that don’t have bugs living everywhere. 

 I could do without a motorhome, motorcycle, boat, camper, or RV. Never had the desire to own them. 

We have never scuba dived or surfed. However, we do enjoy snowboarding occasionally. It is expensive. 

I don’t collect anything expensive. Mainly sports cards from garage sales and postcards from my travels. We keep a scrapbook with our ticket stubs.

4. Transportation: I have owned my car for six years, and I am hoping to get another four years out of it. It is nice not having a car payment and worrying about leasing a car with mile limitations. 

To keep it clean, I usually go to a $2 car wash place because it is better for the environment than washing it in the driveway.

5. Home: We have a dishwasher. Mine as well use it until it breaks down. Washing dishes can be good exercise, but I am always in a rush and prefer to leave my dishes. 

Michigan weather is too crazy. I am extremely thankful for air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter. However, in the fall and spring, we try to open our windows up for some fresh air.