Tuesday, November 29, 2016

OU Giving Tuesday Story



Giving Tuesday is an international day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals and communities to encourage philanthropy and celebrate generosity worldwide. More than 30,000 organizations in 68 countries take part in this special day.

John and Marie Pino donated finances to support a scholarship that helped me concentrate on my academics. Oakland University (OU) provides a top tier education at an affordable price with scholarship opportunities.

Donors, such as John and Marie, make this possible. Their donation made a difference to me.

The Pino’s encouraged me to explore my curiosities and celebrated my successes. They cared about me.

They inspired me to be my best and live my life to the fullest. OU was the perfect fit for me.



I wanted the experience of living on-campus while remaining close to my family and friends. I wanted the best of both worlds. 

Dawn Aubry made an incredible difference in my life. She encouraged me to make connections at OU by getting involved with intramural sports, working out on-campus, and playing club soccer.

Dawn also encouraged me to explore my diverse range of interests including stand-up comedy, history, technology, and environmental issues by attending multiple programs on-campus. I have seen numerous comedians and celebrities speak at OU including Ben Carson, Lisa Ling, and Robert Kennedy. 



OU eventually became my home away from home. I commuted my first year, but I always seemed to be on-campus. 

I met many people through attending on-campus events, such as the Meadowbrook Ball, and my involvement at the Recreation Center. I did not start living on-campus until employment opportunities became available.  

My favorite OU memory is living in the on-campus residence halls and having fun with friends. We enjoyed working out at the recreation center and playing sports. 

These experiences opened many doors for me and introduced me to resources such as Career Services and the Alumni Association. I developed a greater appreciation for OU and their devotion to student success both in and outside the classroom. 

I attended a study abroad informational session as a sophomore. Learning about various cultures became a passion, and I eventually traveled to New Zealand during my last semester. 

My prideful accomplishment is completing my internship in New Zealand and sharing that experience with my students. 

There were many resources and people that were helpful to my academic career. The Career Services Consultants helped me develop my interview skills at workshops and network with professionals in the education industry. 

Besides sponsoring numerous career fairs, they also assisted with my job search by editing my cover letter and resume. Now, I am able to help others prepare for their job search. 

The Alumni Association has helped me to remain engaged with OU and the surrounding community. I still go to almost every OU home basketball game. 


My college experiences shaped my life starting with choosing a major that interested me, building a circle of new friends, and meeting people of various cultures. I still keep in touch with my college friends. 

During college, I gave countless hours to community service. I recently volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, American Red Cross, and Relay for Life. 

Community service was an excellent way to meet new people and broaden my horizons. It often complemented what I was learning in my courses. 

When I graduated from the OU’s School of Education and Human Services (SEHS) in 2008, I felt knowledgeable and ready to have a positive impact on future students.

My college experience also changed my life by providing me with numerous resources and people who helped me be successful. There were so many people here that shared their life experiences and had an impression on me. 


OU prepared me for my career by promoting the importance of being curious and open-minded. I am interested in almost everything. 

It is my duty to provide an education to every child that walks into my classroom. I have to be able to relate to my students in order to make them feel welcomed. 

Every student arrives into my classroom at different levels, and I have to figure out ways to differentiate instruction making learning accessible to them.

Today, please consider making a donation to the Golden Grizzlies Spirit Award.